We often read about the importance of breakfast and its role in maintaining the sugar level in the blood as well as mental and physical activity during the day. But many of us now skip this meal to save more time and we also see children go to school without having a complete breakfast. This is due to the role of the families that should prepare a healthy breakfast for their children.
Why is breakfast considered the most important meal we could eat during the day
Studies have shown that people who eat breakfast are less likely to be obese and have more control over their weight because the morning breakfast meal works to increase the metabolism rate and to initiate the burning of calories.
A complete breakfast meal for children after 8-10 hours of sleep would improve the child’s levels of concentration and intelligence during the school day, especially if breakfast consisted of whole grains that are rich in minerals and vitamins with milk and fruit pieces.
A breakfast meal that contains protein, such as eggs, could stop you from eating more food during the day while giving you a feeling of fullness for longer. But it’s advisable to consume eggs only twice a week to avoid high cholesterol levels.
Quick and easy ideas for a healthy breakfast
A good breakfast contains complete balanced nutrients that provide the body with energy and vitality during the day. We can get those nutrients through quick and easy meals that anyone can prepare.
Microwave-prepared Oat Meal
- 150 ml skimmed milk
- 1 medium apple, diced
- 3 tbsp oats
- 1 tsp honey
- Pinch of cinnamon
Add milk to the apple and oats in a big mug. Put in the microwave for 1 minute then sprinkle cinnamon and honey.
Healthy Oat Cupcakes
Healthy Oat Cupcakes can be prepared in the weekend and enjoyed for a whole week by keeping them in the fridge.
- 1 cup white flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup oats
- 1 tsp yeast
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 tsp honey
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup water
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ small cup raisins, soaked in water and drained
- Sliced almonds, not roasted
- 1 egg beaten with a spoonful of milk for glazing
- Mix all types of flour with oats, yeast, salt, sugar and cinnamon.
- Add water, milk, honey and knead the dough, then add raisins until they mix well.
- Leave to rise for one hour.
- Spread a little oil on the inside of small cupcake moulds. Form small balls from the dough then place them in the moulds and leave to rise once again for 30 minutes.
- Brush the cupcakes with the glazing liquid and add the sliced almonds.
- Bake in a hot oven at 160 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden from all sides.
- Serve in the morning with light strawberry jam or honey and a cup of milk.